Visit this link to see all our pictures of Jacqueline

Monday, December 19, 2016

Great Papa

Yesterday we had Great Papa (Grandpa Ed) over for Christmas.  Jackie was thrilled to help him open presents, especially because Kate, Kelly and Sharon made sure Jackie and Grace got Presents too.

Grandpa doesn't have the memory or the strength he used to.  When I was a kid I remember Grandpa Ed taking us to Craig's Cruisers or as Jackie calls it 'Where the fun never ends' he could hit baseballs so fast I would never dream of stepping in that batting cage.  My Grandpa was tough and smart and the best fishermen I knew.
Although, he may not remember all he used to he did seem drawn to an old wooden box on our fireplace.  The box was made by his dad and my Great-Grandpa used it was a wallpaper box. Grandpa Ed used it as a tackle box. A while back when he moved out of the house on Radcliff I got it.  It was bright glossy green, rusted shut and smelled like bait.  But after being sanded, polished and getting new hardware it now holds some of Grace and Jackie's card games.  See the truth is that people and objects change, but the memories last. There are those special moments like kissing the bait, or bumping on the go carts at Pelican Petes or swinging at the batting cages that remind us who we are and what really matters. I hope that I remember to make each moment into special memories with you girls.

4 comments: